Friday, July 2, 2010

FireFox and plugin-container.exe

In a past update to FireFox (3.6.4), Mozilla added a program to help isolate Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime, and Microsoft Silverlight from the main browser in XP and Linux. The program is called plugin-container.exe. Problem is, it has a habit of eating up system resources.

Until recently, this hasn't been the case on my XP system. I am currently on FireFox 3.6.6 and its only now becoming a problem. Whats even worst is it wasn't a issue the night before. Which is causing a major problem when I'm trying to watch Netflix. Once Netflix starts up the program launches and then the system slows to a crawl. To get it back to normal I have to close out FireFox and then go into the system process to close out plugin-container.exe.

Thank you Mozilla for giving me a good reason to switch to Chrome.

Producer Mike

Addition:

Trying other XP PCs using FireFox I am running into other problems. Namely in Netflix, where I can't pause the movie and then start playing it again without Silverlight crashing. This isn't happening when I do it in IE on the same system. So I know its a FireFox issue not Silverlight.

There was also an issue when playing Flash based games. I've had another XP system that FireFox locked up while trying to transition from one Flash game to another or out of a Flash game. So much for the added program isolating these crashes from the browser. Granted the Browser stays open but its locked up forcing me to close it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment